Skip to content

Scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators

You must have a scrap metal dealer licence if you collect or buy scrap metal within the district.

There are two types of licence:

Site licence

This allows you to operate any site specified in the licence that lies in the Vale of White Horse.

To apply for a site licence please complete the online form here.

If you want to come in person to discuss your application, please contact the environmental protection team by using this link.

Mobile Collector’s licence

A collector’s licence allows you to operate as a mobile collector, but only in the Vale of White Horse.

If you wish to collect outside the district, you must hold a licence for that local authority area also.

Before you apply for a Mobile Collector’s licence, you must have an Environment Agency Waste Carriers Licence.

Information on the Environment Agency Waste Carrier Licence is available on the Environment Agency website.

To apply for a mobile collector’s licence, please complete the application form here.

You can find out more about our license fees here.

All applicants for either scrap metal licence must provide a criminal record check from the government website.

Applications will not be accepted if the appropriate information is not provided. Please read the guidance notes provided with the applications form for more information on what you will need

Current licences

Current licence holder details can be found here.

Contact us - Environmental Protection

Phone icon

01235 422403
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Address icon

Vale of White Horse District Council
Environmental Protection Team
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB