Services we provide

The Vale of White Horse District Council provides the following services:

Environmental services

  • Collects and recycles domestic waste
  • Cleans streets and public places
  • Monitors atmospheric pollution, noise and contaminated land and investigates complaints
  • Monitors the safety of bathing waters and private water supplies
  • Enforces legislation concerning food safety, including food complaints and food poisoning
  • Enforces legislation concerning health and safety at work, including accidents at work and complaints about working conditions
  • Deals with a wide range of public health issues eg defective drainage, deposits of rubbish on private land, animal welfare, stray dogs, infectious disease control
  • Carries out a range of licensing activities eg entertainment licensing, street trading consents, licences for ear piercing, acupuncture, tattooing and electrolysis

Housing Services

  • Provides housing advice
  • Manages the housing register
  • Arranges for temporary accommodation for homeless clients
  • Processes grant and loan applications including grants for disable adaptations to homes
  • Promotes and provides advice on improving home efficiency - see our Saving energy pages
  • Monitors, advises and enforces housing standards across the private sector (including park homes)
  • Administers housing benefit and Council Tax benefit
  • Identifies and takes steps to strive to meet the current and future housing needs of local residents
  • Provides Closed Circuit Television Camera services
  • Works in partnership on community safety issues

Planning Services

  • Prepares and consults on statutory plans for land use and development in the district
  • Gives expert advice to developers and the general public to help ensure developments take place in accordance with the Local Development Framework and Government policy
  • Scrutinises and determines planning applications
  • Investigates contraventions of planning approvals and regulation and takes appropriate action

Cultural and Recreational Services

  • Supports community arts development and public art commissioning
  • Manages contracts for sports and leisure facilities
  • Works to increase participation in sport by developing a programme of activities which matches the needs and aspirations of all sections of the community
  • Provides grant aid to local voluntary groups
  • Manages parks and open spaces - including playing fields, nature reserves and woodland

Transport Services

  • Provides assisted travel schemes for travelling around the Vale area for people with certain disabilities and those aged 60 or over
  • Licences taxis and private hire vehicles
  • Provides and manages off street car parking, including collecting charges
  • Works in partnership to develop integrated transport systems in Abingdon, Wantage and Didcot

We also provide the following services:

  • Council Tax collection
  • Elections and electoral registration
  • Economic development
  • Pest control
  • Emergency planning
  • Abandoned vehicles

What services are provided by other organisations?

If the service you are interested in is not on this list it maybe provided by another agency or authority, including Oxfordshire County Council Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website... , which is responsible for:

  • Schools
  • Social services
  • The fire service
  • Roads
  • Libraries and the museums service
  • Trading standards
  • Land use
  • Transport planning
  • Waste management, including commercial waste, schools waste and the county council's waste recycling centres
  • Planning relating to minerals and waste matters

The following organisations also provide services locally:

Last reviewed: 03 - 07 - 2017

Was this page helpful?YesNo