If you are holding an event you need to understand that you are legally responsible for the safety of anyone attending. When you plan your event you should:
- create a planning timetable including key dates
- identify a team of people to help plan, organise and run the event, including who can take responsibility for public safety
- be clear about what you can achieve on your budget
- carry out a risk assessment to ensure public safety
- consider whether your event will cause disruption to traffic and/or the local community
- arrange sufficient public liability insurance.
You may require a licence for your event if it includes the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of late night refreshment or regulated entertainment. For more information see our Licensing pages.
A guide has been produced to help support anyone looking to run an event in Oxfordshire and contains practical advice on issues such as safety, licensing and traffic management. View the here. The government has produced similar guidance for the running of community events and also a .
Safety Advisory Group
The Council hosts a Safety Advisory group (SAG) that brings together all agencies that have an interest in safety and environmental impact of public events. The SAG meets quarterly or when demand requires. It is a forum to provide advice and guidance to organisers and other agencies; it will not plan an event for organisers.
Event organisers are required to complete and send the to firstname.lastname@example.org at least four months before the proposed date of the event.
Event organisers will be contacted to invite them to the next SAG meeting if any agency believes this will be beneficial. Event organisers will be required to send documentation beforehand including a full event plan, a site plan, a traffic management plan, details of insurance cover, a risk assessment, a fire risk assessment, stewarding, first aid, catering and noise monitoring provision as appropriate.
These meetings will be minuted including actions arising.
Last reviewed: 23 - 07 - 2014