Hackney carriage licences

All hackney carriages that operate within the Vale of White Horse District must be licensed under the terms of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

For details of the minimum requirements for vehicles licensed by the council please see the Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle specification. (41.0 KB) PDF

For information on taximeters and roof signs, please contact suppliers listed below. The Council does not recommend any supplier and others may be found through a standard internet search.

Tony Rodell of the Association of Taximeter Installers on 01753 570546.

REM Taximeters Uxbridge, Tetas Mirror Taximeters and Taxi signs on 01895 234616, email: sales@remtaximeters.com, website: www.remtaximeters.com

Please find the list of approved taxi compliance testing centres effective from October 2017 (72.0 KB) PDF .  Please note that a valid certificate of compliance provided only from one of these garages will be accepted when licensing your vehicle.

How to apply for a licence

To apply for a licence, download and complete the application form (326.9 KB) PDF . Contact the Licensing Team to make an appointment and bring the completed application form to your appointment together with the following original documents:

How to renew a licence or change your vehicle

If you wish to renew an existing hackney carriage licence or change your vehicle, download and complete the application form (326.9 KB) PDF and return it together with the appropriate documentation and fee (85.3 KB) PDF , as set out above.

How to transfer a vehicle and licence to a new owner

A transfer is the sale of a licensed vehicle (including the paper licence and licence plate) from one person to another. Please complete the Application to transfer a vehicle application form (303.5 KB) PDF and make an appointment with a licensing team officer to carry out the transfer as all parties are required to sign in the presence of an officer.

Accident Reporting

Where damage that requires repair arises from an accident, the proprietor is required to report the accident to the relevant council. The council's main concern is to ensure that the vehicle is in a safe and suitable condition to be used as a licensed vehicle. Please make an appointment with a member of the Licensing Team, bring the completed accident report form (92.8 KB) PDF within three working days of the accident and bring the vehicle for inspection if requested.

For details of the licence conditions, please see the Hackney Carriage Vehicle licence conditions. (41.0 KB) PDF

Last reviewed: 13 - 02 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo