Private hire vehicle licences

All private hire vehicles that operate within the Vale of White Horse District must be licensed under the terms of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

For details of the minimum requirements for vehicles licensed by the Council please see the Private Hire Vehicle and Operator Specifications and Conditions. (91.2 KB) PDF

Please find the list of approved taxi compliance testing centres effective from October 2017 (72.0 KB) PDF . Please note that a valid certificate of compliance  provided only from one of these garages will be accepted when licensing your vehicle.

How to apply for a licence

To apply for a licence, download and complete the application form (206.3 KB) PDF . Please contact the licensing team to make an appointment and bring the completed application form together with the following original documents:

  • Vehicle registration document (V5)
  • Current certificate of insurance or cover note for at least third party cover (Must show appropriate Public Hire/Hackney Carriage or Private Hire)
  • Current Certificate of Compliance issued within 28 days by a council approved compliance testing centre (72.0 KB) PDF .
  • Non-refundable licence fee (85.3 KB) PDF - cheques should be made payable to the Vale of White Horse District Council.

How to renew a licence

If you wish to renew an existing private hire licence, download and complete the application form (206.3 KB) PDF . Please contact the Licensing Team to make an appointment and bring it together with the appropriate documentation as set out above and correct fee. (85.3 KB) PDF

How to change your vehicle

If you wish to change your vehicle (upgrading or licensing a hire car following an accident for example), download and complete the application form (207.5 KB) PDF and bring it together with the appropriate documentation and fee (85.3 KB) PDF to your appointment as set out above.

How to transfer a licence and vehicle to a new owner

A transfer is the sale of a licensed vehicle (including the paper licence and licence plate) from one person to another. Please complete the Application to transfer a vehicle form (303.5 KB) PDF and make an appointment with a licensing team officer to carry out the transfer as all parties are required to sign in the presence of an officer.

Accident Reporting

Where damage that requires repair arises from an accident, the driver is required to report the accident to the council. The council's primary concern is to ensure that the vehicle is in a safe and suitable condition to be used as a licensed vehicle. Please make an appointment to see a member of the Licensing Team, bring the completed accident report form (92.8 KB) PDF within three working days of the accident and bring the vehicle for inspection if requested.

How to apply for a plate exemption

Please download and complete the Application for a Plate Exemption Form (80.0 KB) PDF and make an appointment with the Licensing Team. A plate exemption must be applied for on an annual basis and will be granted on a case by case basis.

For details of the licence conditions, please see the Private Hire vehicle specifications and conditions (91.2 KB) PDF .

Last reviewed: 17 - 07 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo