Notify us of changes
Why report a change of circumstance?
If you receive housing benefit and/or council tax reduction, it is important that you tell us immediately if there is a change in your circumstances because it might affect how much benefit you are entitled to. For example, if you don't tell us about a change in your circumstances and we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back.
The changes that you need to tell us about vary depending on whether you are getting Pension Credit from the Pension Service or not.
If you don't get Pension Credit you need to tell us immediately about the following:
- If you or any member of your household has a change in their employment including wages, hours, second job etc.
- If you start or stop getting any type of income such as Tax Credits, Incapacity Benefit, wages etc.
- Any changes in the amount or type of income or benefits of anybody in your household.
- Any changes in the number of people in your household - for example when someone joins or leaves, including those admitted to hospital or those going abroad either permanently or temporarily.
- If you or your partner-s capital or savings go up or down.
- If a child in your household leaves school.
- If there are any changes in your tenancy or rent
- If you move house or flat.
If you get Pension Credit you need to tell us immediately about the following:
- Any changes to your tenancy, such as your rent changes or you move house or flat.
- If anyone of 18 or over moves in or out of your home
- If anyone of 18 or over who lives with you has a change in their income.
- If you are going to be away from home but are staying within Great Britain for more than 13 weeks.
- If you are going to be away from home and staying outside Great Britain for more than 4 weeks.
If your Pension Credit is the Savings Credit only and doesn't include the Guarantee Credit you must also tell us about the following:
- If anybody of any age joins or leaves your household
- Changes to any Child Benefit you get.
- If your capital goes over £16,000
- Changes to your partner's income and capital if your partner is not included in your Pension Credit claim.
If the change will mean that we will pay you more benefit, we will only amend your claim from the Monday after you tell us about it, unless you tell us within one month of the change.
If the change will mean that we will pay you less benefit, we will amend your claim from the Monday after the change (this may mean we have paid you too much and we need it back).
Please Note: Telling the Benefits Agency, DWP, Pension Service or HM Revenue & Customs of a change does not mean that they will automatically tell the council. You must also tell us.
You must tell us about any changes in your circumstances in writing as soon as the change occurs. We need to see evidence of any change in income, capital and rent. We realise that you don't always have evidence of a change as soon as it happens, but you should always tell us about it straight away and provide the evidence as soon as you can.
It is always better to tell us of any changes in your circumstances because they may affect your entitlement to benefit and if you have been paid more than you are entitled you will have to pay this back.
Last reviewed: 14 - 03 - 2019