If your life is in immediate danger call 999.

If you are at risk of flooding:

  1. Before flood water enters your home, close and lock downstairs windows and doors. Keep the keys safely to hand and move upstairs.
  2. Continue to listen to situation updates from your local radio station and via Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
  3. Stay in your property if safe to do so or until either the emergency services tell you otherwise or the floodwater has gone.
  4. Do not drive or walk through floodwater. If it is necessary to walk through shallow water, take care for hidden holes, obstacles and other hazards.
  5. If you come into contact with floodwater, wash any exposed body parts with bottled or cool boiled water before handling food or looking after wounds.

Visit the Oxfordshire flood tool kit for more information

Key contacts

Report flooding

Environment Agency incident hotline 0800 80 70 60

Concerned for a vulnerable person

Call Oxfordshire County Council

8.30am - 5pm - 0345 0507666

Out of hours - emergency duty team 0800 833 408

Sewer Flooding

Thames Water 0800 316 9800

Thames Water's Sewer Flooding page

Road closures

Oxfordshire County Council website.

Twitter feeds

district council and county council


Homeowners have responsibility for protecting their own properties from flooding – we do not routinely supply sandbags during times of flooding.

Builders merchants are the best places to buy sandbags. If your home is vulnerable to flooding and you feel sandbags would provide you with peace of mind, we recommend having a supply stored at home as preparation – don’t wait until flooding is imminent to buy some. You should note that sandbags are often not the most effective solution to flood prevention, and you should research what would work best for your property.

For a helpful guide on how to build an effective sand bag wall see this YouTube video or this useful guide from the Environment Agency.

Preparing for a flood

Are you in a flood risk?

Visit Oxfordshire flood tool kit to see if you are at flood risk.

Check on local river levels on Gauge Map.

Flood warnings

Sign up to the Environment Agency flood warnings

Oxfordshire flood tool kit

Visit the Oxfordshire flood tool kit for information on preparing for a flood.

Recover from flooding

When the floodwater has gone and it’s safe to return home, you may be faced with a difficult sight. Before you start any clean up please read the recovering from flooding information on Oxfordshire flood tool kit.

Financial assistance and insurance

Flood grants for communities 

Many flood affected areas in the Vale have active community-based flood groups which have already undertaken work to reduce the flooding risk in their communities.  These groups of work in co-operation with the Vale of White Horse District Council, the Environment Agency, the Parish or Town Council and the County Council.

The council allocates a small fund each year to help support these flood groups in their work to reduce or prevent flooding.  To apply please download the grant application form (128.4 KB) PDF  Vale of White Horse District Council This link will take you to an external website... .  
For information about grants available to support community flood protection projects please call 01235 422158.


For information about the availability and affordability of flood insurance please see the Flood Re website.

Flood reporting

The council wants to collect as much information as possible about what and where has flooded.  This may be after the event when the waters have subsided.  This information will help us to investigate the situation and also provides historic records.  Photos and eye witness accounts are useful. To report flooding to a property, use the Report It form.

Last reviewed: 20 - 11 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo