Selling former council houses in the Vale

Some former council housing sold under the ‘right to buy’ legislation (Housing Acts 1980 and 1985) contained restrictive covenants that prevent, for example, the construction of conservatories and porches or other alterations to the property.

The council will consider any consents on a case by case basis and residents are encouraged to apply for consent prior to any works being undertaken; however, generally the council will grant retrospective consents if the works or proposal are minor.

Applicants should contact the strategic property team in writing (please use the downloadable application form), who will consider the basis of the consent. In some instances, for example where the remainder of the estate has been transferred to Sovereign Housing Association (formerly Vale Housing Association), the council’s benefit of the covenant may have also transferred. In such instances, the council will advise the applicant to contact Soveriegn Housing Association directly.

Properties sold directly by Sovereign Housing Association

Applications should only be made to the council if the former local authority house in question was sold by it prior to the large scale transfer to Sovereign Housing Association on 9 February 1995. After this date, properties were sold by Sovereign Housing and any queries should be directed directly to them. Contact details can be found on their website This link will take you to an external website... .


Fees for dealing with the removal of restrictions may vary depending on the complexity of the matter, please contact the property team in the first instance.

Last reviewed: 03 - 10 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo