Grants to adapt your home for a disability

The Disabled Facilities Grant

The DFG is a means-tested grant for disabled persons to improve their safety and freedom of movement at home. The grant helps with the cost of necessary adaptations, making it easier for the disabled person to remain in their home.

A DFG can be used for adaptations including:

  • Stairlifts
  • Through floor lifts
  • Ramps                 
  • Level/low access showers
  • Ground floor bathrooms/bedrooms.

The grant is up to the maximum value of £50,000, however if you have a regular income or savings you may have to contribute towards the cost of the works. (No contribution is required towards an adaptation for a child).

How do I apply?

The first step is to contact an Occupational Therapist to see if you’re able to apply. They are based at Oxfordshire County Council’s Social Services department in Abingdon.  You can call them on 0345 0507666 or email

  • terms and conditions apply (available on request).  Availability of these grants is dependent on funds being available
  • a means test will be carried out to assess whether applicants will need to contribute towards the cost of the works (anyone claiming certain benefits will not be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of the works)
  • if you find you're not eligible for a grant, please get in touch with the Private Sector Housing Team to discuss your options.  Email or call 01235 422436.
  • please note that if you're considering applying for a grant you should do this before you start any work. Grants will not be awarded retrospectively.

Last reviewed: 20 - 07 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo