Apply for a private hire vehicle operator’s licence
If you run a business operating private hire vehicles in the Vale of White Horse district then you will need a private hire vehicle operator’s licence.
All applicants and licence holders need to ensure they are familiar with our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy which details the requirements for licensed operators and the conditions that would be attached to any licence granted.
How to apply for a licence
To apply, please download and complete a private hire vehicle operator’s licence application form. Please read the notes and guidance carefully before you complete the form. This form should be used for all application types.
If you wish to change your operator base, increase the number of vehicles you operate, or add a new licence holder we recommend you include a covering letter explaining the changes required.
What do I need to submit with my application?
When you submit your application you need to include the following:
- your completed application form
- proof of your right to work in the UK – to see what documents we can accept see the last two pages of the Home Office right to work guidance
- your disability awareness and safeguarding training course certificate dated within the last three years
- your public liability insurance – only where you have an office open to the public, minimum cover £5m.
- the application fee – the amount depends on how many cars you wish to operate. For portal applications there is a drop down list from which you must select the correct fee. If you pay the wrong fee, the application will be rejected.
If you do not hold a driver licence issued by us then you will be required to:
- submit a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure with your application, and every year after that. You can apply for this on the Government website. See guidance on the form for company and partnership applicants.
You may also need to apply for planning permission for your business, for advice we recommend you speak with our Planning Department before submitting an application.
How to submit your application
Once you have all your documents ready, please submit your completed application through our online application portal.
If you are having trouble accessing our online portal please email your application to us using the details below. These applications will take longer to process as an officer will have to call you to take payment.
We recommend you do not apply by post.
What happens next?
Before we issue an operator’s licence, one of our licensing officers will need to inspect the operating base that you intend to use. This will include a check of any waiting area for customers, your facilities for communication and record keeping.
We will review your application, and if we need any additional information or documentation, we will let you know. We may also carry out additional checks for relevant information held by other authorities. For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.
Once your licence has been approved, you may wish to apply for a private hire vehicle licence for each of your vehicles.