Skip to content

Report an accident, incident or issue at a workplace

We can investigate some premises that are potentially unsafe for the health or wellbeing of anyone working or visiting there.  We can also take legal action against any business that is breaking the law.

We investigate concerns such as:

  • Serious accidents and incidents
  • work-related illness
  • dangerous occurrences
  • workplace asbestos issues
  • unsafe practices or unhealthy working conditions

As a council, we can only enforce health and safety at these workplaces:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants and cafes
  • leisure premises
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • pubs and clubs
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

If your complaint relates to a different workplace, then you will need to report it to the Health and Safety Executive.

What happens after you report a health and safety issue?

Depending on what the issue is, we may visit the premises to carry out an inspection without warning. 

If we believe there’s been a breach of health and safety law, we can take enforcement action – this can range from offering informal advice to starting prosecution proceedings.

We will contact you directly to confirm what action we have taken. For more information on workplace safety, please read the Health and Safety Executive’s guide.

Your identity

If we pursue legal action to resolve your complaint, your identity may be revealed during legal proceedings.

The person accused of neglecting your health and safety at work will have a legal right to know who made a complaint against them if they decide to appeal council action. You could also be required to give evidence if the case goes to court.

Contact us - Food and Workplace Safety

01235 422403
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Food and Workplace Safety Team
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE