Skip to content

Occasional and temporary use notices

If you want to allow gambling to take place on an infrequent basis at a premises without a licence, you can submit a temporary use notice or an occasional use notice.

For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.

Temporary use notice (TUN)

Temporary use notices (or TUNs) can allow a licensed gambling operator to provide infrequent gambling activities at a premises without needing a premises licence.

The only type of gambling activity that can be provided under a temporary use notice is equal chance gaming, arranged in the form of a tournament with a single overall winner. No other type of gambling activity may be provided under the authority of a TUN, including the provision of gaming machines.

A premises may not be used for gambling under temporary use notices for more than 21 days in any 12-month period.

Notices can only be given by a person or organisation that holds a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

To submit a TUN, please send a completed Temporary Use Notice and payment to us at the address below. We must receive your notice at least three months before your gambling event takes place.

You must also email a copy of the notice to Thames Valley Police, The Gambling Commission and HM Revenue and Customs – see our list of responsible authorities for details.

Provided all is in order, we will acknowledge receipt of your TUN in due course.

Occasional use notice (OUN) – track based betting only

An OUN allows betting activities to take place up to eight days a year on a track where sporting activity is taking place, such as a racecourse. There is no charge for an OUN.

To submit an OUN please complete an Occasional Use Notice and send it to us at the address below.

People are not able to object to OUNs, so providing the venue has not exceeded the eight-day limit and the form has been correctly completed, we will simply acknowledge your request.

Contact us - Licensing

01235 422556
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE