Animal licences

You will need a licence if you run a business that does the following activities:

We strongly recommend that you read through the guidance notes on the available from the Canine and Feline Sector Group.

Changes to animal licensing regulations

In October 2018, new regulations came into force to replace some existing licences as part of The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.

With the new regulations during our inspections, we now score the business by examining the overall environment and welfare standards using a matrix. You can see the scoring matrix here.

If you have a current licence, it will continue to be valid until the expiration date. When you renew your licence, you must apply for a licence under the new regulations.

If you are applying for a new licence for breeding dogs, selling animals as pets, hiring out horses or exhibiting animals, we will also arrange a vet inspection.

Riding schools will continue to be inspected by a vet annually.

We will recharge the licence holder for all costs incurred in arranging the inspections.

For a list of all our licence charges, please see our application fees page.

Current animal welfare licences

Please use this link to find businesses currently holding anĀ animal welfare licence.

You can find out more information here for:

Contact us - Environmental protection

Phone icon

01235 422403
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Address icon

Vale of White Horse District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB