Neighbourhood planning empowers local communities to help direct and shape the way their area grows and develops into the future. Written by local people who live, work or run a business in the area, and ultimately subject to a referendum. When a plan passes referendum, it becomes part of the development plan which helps determine planning applications.
What support do we offer groups preparing or reviewing their neighbourhood plan?
We strongly support our neighbourhood planning groups. This includes:
- Advice and guidance throughout - An introductory meeting to discuss your aims and outline the process
- A Lead Officer to attend meetings, where appropriate, and offer expert advice alongside their colleagues
- Grant funding from the district council (and advice on external support and guidance is available to you)
- Advice on engaging with your community - Including how and why you need to record this
- Inform you which external organisations and statutory bodies you will need to consult
- Advice on what evidence is required to help you write your plan
- Consultation on area designation proposals (where appropriate) as well as submitted plans
- Review of your draft neighbourhood plan to ensure it meets the basic conditions
- Organising the Independent Examination and Referendum for your plan
Use the individual links on the left to see what progress your community is making, or take a look at the map below to see what progress is being made in neighbourhood plans across the district.
If you have any questions about neighbourhood planning, we are waiting for you to contact us!
January 2017 and September 2015
Last reviewed: 11 - 09 - 2018